1 15-oz. carton whole milk ricotta cheese
6 oz. Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
1/2 tsp. snipped fresh thyme or 1/4 tsp. dried thyme, crushed
1/4 tsp. snipped fresh rosemary or 1/8 tsp. dried rosemary, crushed
1 Tbsp. honey
36 toasted baguette slices
Sliced apples, fresh thyme, and/or toasted chopped walnuts
1. Place ricotta in a large mixing bowl. beat with an electric mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in Gorgonzola, 1/2 teaspoon thyme, and 1/4 teaspoon rosemary until combined. Fold in 1 tablespoon honey until just combined. Spoon mixture into a serving bowl. Cover and chill 1 to 24 hours.
2. To serve, spread on baguette slice and top with apple slices, thyme and/or walnuts. Drizzle with honey.
Makes 36 appetizer servings.
Better Homes and Gardens, December 2010
I made this one for Christmas and it was perfect for just such an occasion. Rosemary and Thyme have both always reminded me of the smell of pine trees and everyone kept saying they tasted just like Christmas. Perfect! The honey works to soften up the otherwise coarse cheeses and helped create a creamy finish. Total genius.
1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled blue cheese
8 ounces light cream cheese, softened
1 tablespoon lowfat buttermilk
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup minced parsley
2 1/2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
3 tablespoons minced dates
1 minced shallot
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Place first 3 ingredients in large bowl. Beat with mixer at medium speed for 2 minutes or until smooth and creamy. Add dates, shallots, lemon rind, salt and pepper. Beat at medium speed until well blended.
2. Spoon cheese mixture onto a large sheet of plastic wrap. Form into a ball using spatula. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill overnight.
3. Combine parsley and walnuts in a shallow dish. Unwrap and gently roll the cheese ball in nut mixture, Place on serving plate. Serve immediately or refrigerate until serving.
Yield: 14 servings
Cooking Light, November 2010
I made this one for a Thanksgiving appetizer and everyone loved it. The dates add a nice holiday flavor and the nuts give it a nice texture. The cream cheese and dates cut the funkiness of the blue cheese for a well-rounded flavor.