- 8 oz. asparagus spears, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 5 cups French bread cubes
- 2 cups shredded Gruyére or white cheddar cheese, (8 oz.)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped chives or green onions
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 10 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups milk
2. In a greased 3-quart baking dish spread half the bread cubes. Top with cheese, onion, chives and half the mushrooms and asparagus. Top with remaining bread.
3. In a bowl whisk together four of the eggs and the milk. Evenly pour over layers in dish. Press down bread pieces into the egg milk mixture with the back of a spoon. Top with remaining mushrooms and asparagus. Cover; refrigerate until ready to bake.
4. Bake, uncovered, in a 325 degrees F oven 30 minutes. With the back of a wooden spoon, press 6 indentations in top of strata. Pour a whole egg into each indentation. Bake 20 to 25 minutes more or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in center of strata registers 170 degrees F and eggs are set. Let stand 15 minutes.
5. Cut into squares to serve. If desired, drizzle lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and cracked black pepper. Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Better Homes & Gardens, December 2010
This was originally a Ham-Asparagus Strata, but I substituted mushrooms for ham since I personally don’t eat much of the stuff. If you like meat in your breakfast, use 8 oz. ham instead of the 8 oz. mushrooms. I made this to celebrate the new year – mixed it up last night and popped it in the oven this morning. The pictures say it all. Perfect way to start the holiday.
Happy New Year!