- 2 portions Alan’s Pie Pastry, or 2 rolled refrigerated piecrusts
- 6 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1/2 cup cranberries
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground allspice
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 recipe Pastry Cream (recipe below)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 Tbsp. whipping cream
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. On a floured surface, roll one pastry portion to a circle 14 inches in diameter. Transfer pastry to a 9-inch deep dish pie plate. Trim pastry even with rim of pie plate; cover and set aside. On a floured surface roll remaining pastry to a 12-inch circle; cover and set aside.
3. Spread bottom of crust with Pastry Cream. Toss apple mixture with dry ingredients; add to pie tin. Immediately add top crust. Trim to 1/2-inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold top pastry under bottom pastry. Crimp edge as desired. Cut 4 small openings, so the steam is released. Combine egg and whipping cream; brush liberally on pie. Place pie on a baking sheet.
4. Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Cover edges of pie with foil, if necessary, to prevent overbrowning. Cool on wire rack.
Pastry Cream: In a small saucepan combine 1 cup milk and 1/4 cup sugar; cook over medium heat just until bubbly on edges. Meanwhile in a medium mixing bowl beat 2 egg yolks, 3 tablespoons sugar, 3 tablespoons cornstarch, and 1/4 teaspoon salt until combined. Gradually beat in 1/3 cup hot milk mixture; quickly beat in remaining milk mixture. Return to saucepan; cook and stir over medium heat until mixture is thick and comes to a boil. Remove from heat; stir in 2 tablespoons butter and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Transfer to bowl; cover surface with plastic wrap. Cool. Chill to store.
Bettter Homes & Gardens, November 2010
After making this recipe, I feel that I can rest easy, contented that I have made the best apple pie in the entire world. I am hesitant to even share this recipe as I would like to horde it forever and claim it as my crowning achievement in life. It is amazing. Enough said.
So here is a cheesy picture of me – being proud of my best-ever pie.